Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Photographs of Haiti, by Atlanta's Cheryl Lewis, Sat. June 22nd

Saturday, Jan 22nd, begins a month long exhibit of photographs of Haiti by metro Atlanta resident, Cheryl Lewis.


I asked Cheryl for a bio to include with her photos and this is what she sent:

"A bio normally includes all of the wonderful professional and personal accomplishments accrued over a presenter’s lifetime. I’m glad to have had a few. But, after serving in Haiti soon after last year’s January 12th earthquake, all of my accolades meant nothing to me. I had no nursing skills with which to mend their hurts. All I could do was show up to demonstrate that God cares. And so I did. I tell about that on my blog. If you don’t have time to go there, their faces will tell the story. Look closely. But for the grace of God, their faces could be ours. I only wish that, with all of our perks in life, our smiles were as broad as so many I saw there."

Cheryl has a huge heart for others. Her bio was written from that loving heart. I want to tell you a little more about Cheryl's credits! And this is just a small list.

Cheryl is an award-winning journalist and editor.  In 2001, she was selected by Ladies Home Journal to write its front-page coverage following the 9/11 tragedy. She also got the nod by nationally acclaimed and syndicated radio talk show host Neal Boortz to help write and edit his NY Times number-one bestseller, The Fair Tax. In addition to ghostwriting several manuscripts for local and regional authors, Cheryl was asked by Atlanta’s Varsity restaurant to interview dozens of longtime patrons for its celebratory 75th anniversary book.

Cheryl's photos of the people of Haiti, especially the children, will amaze you with their honesty and beauty.

Sales of her photos go to a fund to help find a young boy she met on her trip, Markenley. Her wish is to help with his education. With Cheryl will be several of the girls from her Sunday School class selling hot chocolate to help raise funds for Markenley.

Read more of Cheryl's story on her blog by clicking here

A few of the photos that will be on display from Jan. 22 - Feb. 22nd.




Photo from Cheryl's blog


Read more on Cheryl's Haiti on Skirt magazine online. "It Has Been A Year, Haiti." 








No comments: