Sunday, December 12, 2010

My To Do List For Monday

Opening Soon! Great things begin in January 2011 at The Little Shop Of Arts And Antiques!

Soon you may be sitting on our little yellow loveseat checking out all your purchases!

I am already scheduling appointments for tomorrow to get things done. My electrician, Marvin, will meet me at the shop at noon. I am having the electrical service checked out. After all was said and done on Saturday, I don’t have a gas meter. Electric space heaters will work. I just want to have Marvin check out my wiring before I stark plugging things in and see stars. And not those romantic stars in the sky at night. The ones you see when ##**!#!**!!! you plug in something that sparks back! I am sure it is fine, but it is better to have a professional take a look and confirm it and let me know what load it will carry. Plus I am expecting he will let me know what type of heaters will keep me toasty warm and be cost efficient.  (If you are reading the words electric heaters and cost efficient and are chuckling, don't tell me!)

Then off to the fire department to pay my fees for an inspection by the fire marshal, hopfully soon, to be done. When I get my Certificate of Occupancy, my next step is to visit Lilburn's planning folks for their approval and my business license. I've already met them and you can't ask for nicer folks.


All the merchants and folks in Old Town are great. That is the reason I am so anxious to become a part of this little hub. 

My white cupboard from Antiques In Old Town may be carried across the street at lunch, since the dealer I bought it from, my friend Cheryl, is bringing in something new and this big ole piece needs to find its way home. It will be my storage cabinet. Wait til you see how lovely it is!  (Don't ask if it is for sale! This one is mine!)


You can check out my favorite shop Antiques In Old Town across the street while you are waiting for me to open! Then visit us both!

Have some delicious lunch at The Blue Rooster Cafe  , home of Lilburn's best chicken salad, at the other end of the little group of shops across from me. Yummy food to tickle your stomach and make you feel glad you visited Old Town!

And if you haven't visited Lilburn yet, you are missing a wonderful place to eat, shop and have some very merry fun, at any time of the year. Check out their web (Lilburn, Small Town, Big Difference)  and see what small town living close to the big city looks like. You will be anxious to become part of the scene!

Already pieces are starting to pile up as my design plan starts to fall into place. My little yellow loveseat is waiting for the time friends and customers can sit on it,  visit and share a cup of coffee or tea.

The original name for this blog was the yellow loveseat, but then I decided on my current name. I am so fickle with names. What is in a name? Everything!

The Little Shop of Arts and Antiques was decided on after two days of kicking names back and forth. I made myself sick thinking so hard. My cousin Barbie in Bloomington, Indiana, came up with lists of names. All wonderful, but not just right for my vision of my little shop (see those words, little shop.....the beginning already started and unknown to me)Then a conversation with a friend, where the question, What's the shop going to be? was asked, and my answer gave me the name!

It's just a little shop where I'll have arts and antiques!  So simple. So there you have it. The arts part includes artist openings, book signings and intimate writer workshops.

The antiques part will be a daily surprise as I find treasures to temp you. My own line of jewelry, Time In A Garden, a whimsical mixture of garden bugs, frogs and flowers that I sell in The Atlanta Botanical Gardens gift shop, will be for sale, as well as some other lovely pieces by local jewelry designers.
If you like vintage/Victorian art and have space for a lovely old oil painting, I will have a delightful selection for your viewing (and purchasing?) pleasure.

I contacted the best book promoter I know today. He'll have some incredible events planned starting the end of January. I think it will be a great match for everyone!


If you are an artist and are interested in a gallery showing of your work, contact me! If you are an author who wants a booksigning, let me know. And if you are interested in classes/workshops on writing, send me your e-mail address. Contact me at thefourhounds@gmail.com.


For my dog rescue friends, we will have a fund raiser for you the end of January. So stay in touch, my dear buddies at Animal Action Rescue.

My events will be limited to fit the space and number of folks I am allowed to have inside at one time. Some will be by reservation only, so follow me here and don't miss out.

Oh so much to do to open mid January. Please don’t snow tomorrow. I have to get busy!
Such a sweet little yellow loveseat. Come join me for a cup of coffee and sit a spell!

Check back here often, as I am updating my progress almost daily. Once the shop is open, you will find a list of our events posted here. Watch for some great history of Lilburn as we can both learn about this special town together! It is an amazing American town!

No comments: