Friday, December 10, 2010

It All Began Because Of A Lunch Date!

The shop that had to be mine

Running late as I usually do, I pulled into the parking spot in front of the old cabinet shop, jumped out of the car, anxious to get across the street to catch up with my friend Cheryl at Antiques In Old Town. I stood for a minute and looked directly in front of me. A sign caught my eye. For Rent. The old cabinet shop had been vacant since spring, but I never noticed the sign before. Something clicked in my mind at that very instant and I knew I had to call that number. I pulled my cell out of my purse and without hesitation left the following voice mail message: "I am looking at your building, I am a writer and an antique dealer, and I want to rent this space. Please call me." That was on December 2, 2010.

I crossed the street and my friend Cheryl was tidying up her booth. I had already put her huge old paint white primitive cupboard on layaway, and had no idea where it would go. My house is full.

As we took off for our favorite Mexican spot for lunch, I started giggling.

"What's so funny?" she asked, smiling back at me.

"I've found a spot for the cupboard. I am going to rent the little shop across the street!"

I've rented antique booths before to house a purchase I had no space for, but never a shop. This would be a first.

My friend shook her head. "So like you. But what a great idea."

It was a great idea. My guess was the rent would be too high, but I was game to give it a try.

Two days later the call came in. The rent had been reduced a few days before to a figure I could not refuse. I committed to a year's lease with a meeting on Monday to sign the paperwork. A deal made over the phone with a young man I felt I could trust. I hadn't even seen the inside of the building, but I didn't want someone else to grab it.

Yes, you might ask, in today's economy would there be a rush to rent, even at the price I was quoted? I did not want to find out there was and miss my chance. I knew I was being guided to this new adventure as I have been on all my creative endeavors the past year.

My shop diary begins with this post today. I signed my lease last Monday, December 6th. The young man is the only person I know who runs later than I do and is more disorganized. He was twenty minutes late, and forgot the lease. We laughed and signed a make shift agreement. He e-mailed the lease to me later that night. I walked away from our meeting with a key in my hand, two months rent paid for and a heart ready to burst with excitement while my brain started calculating all that needed to be done!

The business of starting a business began that afternoon. I talked to the folks at the Planning and Development department to find out all I needed to do and to let them know my plans for my little shop. They were a great bunch of folks and I left with a list a mile long.

To name a few things on this hit list: a visit to the Fire Department to pay a fee to have the Fire Marshal walk through the building to approve a certificate of occupancy, then the city Planning and Development folks will walk through for an inspection to issue a business license. Stay tuned as I share the nitty gritty details of opening your own shop as I start checking them off my list next week.

Today, I want to share the photos from Monday. Let's see how we end up looking by early to mid January when The Little Shop of Arts and Antiques will have its grand opening. A short time frame, but I am used to moving quickly!

A room with a view. In this case, two rooms with a view!
The main room is approx 18 x 15 with a French door leading into the second room.

The second room is approx 15 x 13. The ceiling is vaulted with brick.
There is work to be done, but I have a great handyman! There is no air or heat at the moment, and the rent reflects that fact. I am only worried about staying toasty warm for now. Cooling the place seems a long way off.  There is a gas line in the front room and I am checking to see about having a hanging heater installed and the gas turned on. Brrrr. As a quick fix, I could use electric space heaters, but I shudder to think what the electric bill would be.

The electric was turned on today. Monday I go visit the Fire Department to begin the certificate of occupancy process. My insurance company is working up the figures on a policy for the shop. I have my own to do list ready as soon as I am given the OK to move in.

There is a little yellow loveseat in the main room now. It will be a cozy spot for my customers and friends to sit on and visit over a cup of tea or coffee. The shop is already taking shape with the simple placement of a piece of furniture and the possibilities of what I want to do are stretching ahead of me like a yellow brick road!

If you are wondering about the primitive white cupboard, it is not for sale. Some things a gal, who loves antiques, just has to keep. It will be the perfect storage piece for the shop's paperwork and supplies.


No comments: