Thursday, June 30, 2011

Date With Your Dog On July 4th


Reposted from Lilburn Patch. com.

I received an e-mail invitation a few weeks ago from a stranger that caught my attention. I am freaky about deleting items I consider SPAM, but this seemed different at first glance, so I opened it.

The email said:

“I edit a blog called COFFEE WITH A CANINE. Clicking around, I learned that you have a dog or two. [Truth is, I have five! Excuse me for cutting in, but I want to get the record straight.] I wonder if you'd be game for a Q & A at my blog. It's pretty simple: you take your dogs for a ‘coffee date’ (at a park, cafe, your backyard, wherever), answer some emailed questions, and share a few photos. Any interest?”

How could a dog lover refuse? How could a java addict say no?

I immediately Googled his blog and loved what he is doing! I wrote back. “I’m in!”

The weather, and work at the shop, have slowed me down. My date is next week. The location is my yard. I can't take my dogs anywhere! This could be mass confusion with a capital C.  Instead of a cup of coffee with one charming canine, I will be juggling a pack and trying not to tip my cup! Note to myself: don’t wear white — coffee stains.

The fellow behind the blog is Marshal Zernigue. I wrote and asked how he came up with this great idea. His blog is amazingly fun.

“I started ‘Coffee with a Canine’ when I noticed two things. One, a couple of my friends had just adopted dogs and I realized that I had more friends who had dogs than didn't. Two, I noticed that so many writers with websites that I visited went out of their way to mention their dogs.  That's the 'canine' part. The 'coffee' part is a bit more random...”

He has a point! Dog lovers love to talk about their dogs. If you visit my “widow” blog, the blog that was started to promote my book, what catches your eye are my dog photos. Then there is my dog blog about living with dogs. If you talk to me you notice I sneak in stories of my dogs whenever I can!

Bingo. He has me pegged!

In anticipation of my own dog date next week, I've decided to make July 4th a day for you to date your dog!

The Little Shop Of Arts And Antiques, in the heart of Old Town, at 94 Main Street NW, will open from noon to 5 with a special dog event. All dogs who bring their owners to my shop on July 4, will have their photos taken. Tell me a little about your pet and I will post the photos on my own dog blog 'Writer With Dogs' and perhaps here on 'Patch'. These will be digital photos and I will be happy to e-mail to each owner as a holiday treat.

Free dog biscuits for dogs, free bottled water for humans, and I hope I get some free dog kisses. For every dog that shows up sporting a bandana or other dress item, they will receive a $5 shop gift certificate. The first dog on the scene receives a yellow size large dog sweater that says "Bite Me"!

July 4th I’m going to the dogs. Care to join me? It is the perfect day to have a date with your dog!

No comments: