Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Stone Cat - A Story by Jesse Newton

Jesse Newton and the cat that inspired the story below!



Jesse shared his first story with us in a post on March 6th. He is nine years old and in the fourth grade and loves cats and loves to write. Jesse and his grandmother, Linda Newton, came by the shop April 2nd, to meet author Jane Harmon, who was signing her book "Pip", a young adult novel.

Jane and Jesse spent a good bit of time talking about life and writing!




When Jesse was ready to leave I noticed my stone cat caught his eye. The cat needed a good home, as his base is roly poly and could tip over easily in the shop and break. I asked Jesse to take care of the cat and made him the new owner. There was one catch...I wanted him to write another cat story! Jesse did. I love it and am sharing it with you. I am also posting the nice note Jesse wrote when he sent his story to me.

It is a true pleasure to know such a talented and charming young man!



Good morning, Ms Barbara! Thank you so very much for my wonderful stone cat! I have it sitting in the bucket, on top of my dresser. I always enjoy looking at it for inspiration for stories, or for anything else, really. I constantly think of Mia, Velvet, or my previous cat Mickie when I look at it. I have written my story on that gray cat, and I am very happy with both the story, and the cat. Once again, thank you!

                                                            Sincerely,
                                                            Jesse Newton

Jesse's Story
 
     “Thank you so much! Goodbye!” I said as I walked out of the small shop. I had just been given a life-size stone cat. It had glowing red eyes, was all-gray, and would look great in my room. I knew just where to put it.
      That night, at about 12:00 (yes, midnight 12:00), I heard loud banging sounds from downstairs. I looked to the shelf that held my stone cat….. And realized that it was gone! I decided to go downstairs to see whatever I had heard downstairs. As soon as I got there, I saw a beautiful cream-colored cat with blue eyes, covered in pots and pans. I soon realized that this was my ‘stone’ cat. Sadly, after one hour, this beautiful cat changed back to stone.
     The next night, after many games of charades with this intelligent cat, I learned that it needed a special key to change back to the normal cat that it really was. I also interpreted that the key had only to be touched by this stone cat for it to be changed back to normal.
     After going back to the shop that I got my stone cat from, I asked the shopkeeper if she had any kind of antique key. Sure enough, the shopkeeper got out a bejeweled and gilded key. I went home and slipped the key under the cat’s paw. With a cloud of magical dust, she changed.

          I named that cat Mia, and loved my cat ever since.
**************
Special thanks to photographer Richard L. Ferris for the photographs. Look for Richard at the shop June 4th for a month's display of his fantastic photos.


1 comment:

Elsie Love said...

What a great site!
What a great Blog!
I love it. Congrats to you Barb for following your dreams. All the best. My sister is in GA. Next time I'm in town, I'll visit for sure!
Elsie (E.B...sister in Skirt!)